Things to do
There is a lot to do in this beautiful area. It’s an ideal base from which to explore and find things to do in Mid Wales and is a short driving distance from Lake Vyrnwy, Welshpool, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, Machynlleth, Dolgellau in Snowdonia, and a little farther away are the beaches of Cardigan Bay, or shopping at Chester and the coast at Aberystwyth.
Places to visit are:
- Llanfair Caereinion – with its Light Steam Railway to Welshpool (4 miles)
- Dolanog – and its falls, with Ann Griffiths Walk, who was a Welsh 18th Century Hymn-writer, lived locally and is buried in Llanfihangel – and is commemorated by a specific 7 mile walk which goes through Dolanog; and then there’s Glyndwr’s Way Trail crossing through Dolanog (1 mile)
- Welshpool – with its local market and individual shops, plus the Livestock Market – renowned to be the largest in Europe.
- Powis Castle, a National Trust mediaeval castle with parkland gardens which has a famous Yew clipped hedging (13 miles)
- Lake Vyrnwy – with its spectacular masonry dam and nature reserve, including a RSPB viewing area and a sculpture park/trail (10 miles) (picture right).
- Llangollen and the Berwyn mountains (25 miles)
- Snowdon and the national park of Snowdonia are just a drive away (25 miles)
- The Long Mynd, Stiperstones and Cader Idris are all within an hour’s drive.
- Plus the spectacular waterfall at the head of the valley (photo left) near Llanrhaeadr Ym Mochnant (10 miles)
- For those more adventurous there are 2 recently opened thrilling locations – Bounce Below or Zip World. Both are just over an hour from us.
- Or to see what other attractions are around: Wales Directory or Explore Mid Wales for other ideas showing other things to do and see…
(All distances approximate, as it depends which route you take!)