Cadw are tasked with looking after ancient monuments and manage a lot of historic properties in and around Wales, listed here are a few which are relatively close to us – reachable in under an hour from Gwaenynog. (Locate from l-r)
A narrow bridge crossing the Dyfi at Dinas Mawddwy. Built by Dr John Davies early in the seventeenth century.
Bryntail Lead Mine Buildings
Buildings and structures associated with the nineteenth-century extraction and processing of lead ore.
The remains of this castle, begun by Llywelyn ap Gruffudd (‘the Last’) in 1273 and captured by the English in 1277, have been revealed by excavations.
Castle begun by Henry III in 1223 and given to Hubert de Burgh in 1228. Held by the Mortimers in the fourteenth century, it was later demolished on the order of Parliament after the Civil War.